AHRC Nassau provides OPWDD approved Day Habilitation Services for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, including autism spectrum disorders. Using a person-centered approach, men and women participate in a wide range of center- and community-based activities that promote personal growth and greater community engagement. This program is available to people approved for OPWDD services who are over the age of 21.
AHRC Nassau Day Habilitation Services’ Outcomes Include:
- Meaningful participation in the community through valued volunteerism opportunities.
- Development of independent living and socialization skills though activities that are person-centered.
- Greater self-expression and communication through art, music, photography, clubs and horticultural activities.
- Greater community awareness, engagement and connections through activities which access local parks, museums, nature preserves, gardens and other offerings across Long Island venues.
AHRC Nassau provides the person with:
- No cost door-to-door transportation.
- Medical oversight by registered nurses.
- A wide range of person-centered activities to promote health and wellness.
Provides a wide range of center- and community based programs that provides men and women a hands-on community-integrated, person-centered program with activities that are designed meet their desired goals and objectives.
Transportation to an AHRC Nassau or community-based location is provided and wide range of on-site and off-site programming is provided in the community. All programming is person-centered supported by dedicated staff members.
Located in Brookville, NY, AHRC Nassau is embarking on creating a working farm and arts center that will provide opportunities for children and adults to actively engage in horticulture, animal-assisted activities, environmental awareness, movement and music. In summer of 2019, the program plans to open first with horticulture and equine-assisted opportunities for adults only.
We will be expanding our offerings to best meets the needs and desires of the community. Wheatley Farms combines AHRC Nassau’s commitment to the highest quality therapies with engaging outdoor and arts activities in a fully-inclusive, community-based setting.